Advertisement

Tuesday 9 November 2021

Xury character sketch Robinson Crusoe - diary entry

 Xury character sketch Robinson Crusoe - diary entry


How to write a character sketch of an English novel or story

A character sketch is a portrayal of a person that a reader has perceived after reading any English novel or story. It mostly starts with the physical appearance of the character that is described in the story. Further, it includes the character’s behavior, strength, and weaknesses according to the story. In the end, the reader has to give his one-line opinion about the character.  A character sketch is always written in the present tense.

Here we’ll describe the character sketch of "Xury" from the Novel Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe, first published in 1719. The novel is a part of many school syllabuses with several adaptations. 


Robinson Crusoe Xury Character Sketch


Xury-Character Sketch


Xury is a black young boy. He is muscular and tall. He is a servant at the house of the captain of the pirate ship where Robinson Crusoe lived as a slave. 

He is an ambitious boy who remained ready to take on challenges. He is fearless and bold. He also wants freedom and wishes to go all over the world, that is why he helps Robinson while escaping and assures him his faithfulness. He is a hardworking and faithful boy. He also gives good suggestions in the time of need. He is ready to give his life for the safety of Robinson Crusoe as he volunteers to go inland and search for water despite the fear of wild animals. He keeps on smiling in any situation that shows he is calm and a composed boy. He is an energetic fellow who can manage many tasks at one time. It is because of Xury's faithful attitude that Robinson Crusoe agrees to give him to another ship captain when Xury seems willing. The ship captain assures Robinson that he would be good with Xury and give him back his freedom in ten years.  Xury joins another ship captain with Robinson's consent in the hope to get freedom.


In my opinion, Xury is a trustworthy and powerful character in the novel. I like the character very much.



Write a diary entry,   Robinson Crusoe.


Imagine you are Robinson Cruse, describing your decision to gong to Guinea and why you want to give up the good lift to travel.



Dear diary,

15th Oct 2021


I'm in Brazil right now and living a comfortable life. I got my permit to stay in Brazil. I have started my plantation work over here. My work is growing day by day that I think I need more working hands. It is a life very much like the kind my father wanted me to live. But if this kind of life had been my dream I would have stayed in the comfort and safety of my home in England. I can't help it but my heart longed for adventure. 


So when some new friend of mine came to me with the idea of our finding a ship and sailing to Guinea as traders, I thought it is a great idea. It is the kind of life that I wish for-a a life full of adventures. Now I'm just waiting for good weather to set off. I hope you'll understand my decision to leave a good life for sailing. A lifelong love for travel has taken everything from me but I don't regret it. My heart is always ready for risk and adventure.


Robinson Crusoe

Diary entry 

Advertisement